1 tablespoon cumin seeds, plus 1 teaspoon
2 pounds / 900g sweet potato, cut into wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
salt and pepper
For the dip:
1/4 cup / 60 ml tahini paste
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or Wood’s Hickory & Oak Smoked Maple Syrup)
1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon
2 tablespoons water
fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- While the grill heats, place the cumin seeds in a small, dry pan over medium heat. Toast them, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the seeds to a chopping board and crush them using the bottom of a drinking glass, until fine.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potato wedges with the olive oil, Maple syrup and the crushed cumin seeds. Mix well to ensure the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Make 5-6 foil packages by placing two large pieces of tinfoil on top of each other. Very lightly brush the tinfoil with olive oil.
- Lay the wedges in a single row in the middle of each package, lengthwise, leaving a little bit of space between each wedge. Fold the ends of the package tightly over the potatoes, then double fold the sides in, making sure the packages are tightly sealed.
- Place the packets on the grill and cook until tender, and the potatoes begin to blacken, about 12-14 minutes. Flip the packages once and repeat on the other side.
- Remove the packages from the grill and use a fork to open them up (careful, they’re hot!) Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dip in a medium bowl and either drizzle onto the sweet potatoes, or use as a dip.
- Garnish with cilantro and DEVOUR.